Why become a PWAC member? We offer a range of benefits to help take your professional writing career to new heights, and to help you look after both your business and yourself. Some require separate registration.
- PWAC Job Bank: Updated frequently with a number of freelance, part-time and full-time opportunities for members at all stages of their careers. Accessed through the members only area of our website, PWAC.CA
- The PWAC press card. These are useful to members, both in Canada and internationally. Media accreditation at events, including access to facilities, may require an additional application, but having the card makes it easier. In many instances, the card itself is sufficient
- Professional development sessions and social events at the chapter and national level
- Annual Conference – PWAC’s conference is an opportunity for members to learn, network, make new friends and reconnect with old ones. To see the type of programming we offer, please browse the conference section of our website, starting at https://pwac.ca/PWAC-Conferences.
- Access to the collected wisdom of our members through many platforms including on-line discussion groups and social media. Got a question? PWAC members have answers. Sometimes the most interesting of our platforms is the PWAC-L, where everything writing-related, and some things not related to writing at all, are discussed. PWAC is a "tribe" of non-fiction writing professionals who consistently encourage, support, and offer help so that we all succeed. Our members are active on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and other social media platforms.
- Our website, https://pwac.ca. This includes a number of discussion forums for members and information about PWAC for the public. It also includes:
- Find-a-Writer, where potential clients can look up members based on name, location and more importantly, keywords/phrases and professional experience. Having an up-to-date completed profile helps you get noticed and get hired.
- The Poke, our electronic magazine featuring articles about activities of PWAC members, a digest of Board of Directors meetings, organizational initiatives/updates, some PD-related articles, and so much more.
- A health care benefits package through Writers Coalition (www.writerscoalition.ca). This includes disability, dental, eyeglasses and paramedical services (chiropractors, etc.) as well as a small life insurance benefit. Many of the benefits extend to family members.
- A package of discounts through Perkopolis (www.Perkopolis.com). These include discounts on car rentals, flights, hotels, live shows and at a wide variety of stores.
To find out what level of membership – professional, associate or student – best suits you, visit our membership criteria page. To apply for PWAC membership, please visit https://pwac.ca/join-us.